Friday, November 07, 2008

Small sites and catcam and the Net

A Simpsons episode from 1996 has a web address for a school on a sign. I looked it up at Wikipedia.
"The sign at the elementary school displays "www.studynet.edu". Weinstein said that this was one of the most dated jokes in the history of the show because it centered on the idea that it would be outlandish for a school to have its own website."

Hell, even in 1996 that was outdated! If he'dda asd me, I coudda tole him. The very existence of a .edu domain says that educational institutions has lots of use for a web site. (Update: I checked with the commentary now, and actually it does not say "outlandish", but "advanced", which makes more sense. I've updated the wiki page.)

Anything and anybody should have a site. If I had a cat, it would have one.

I don't get when people don't see the scope and power of the Internet. People sometimes talk about the Net as if it were a building outside town. No man, it's the world outside town and includes the town too.

3 comments:

Ray said...

After I got into computers back in the summer of 2004, I thought that it would now be great to be able to use the Internet to keep in touch with old friends and relatives. I only overlooked one thing: most of my generation has not kept up with the technology, and has only a very rudimentary knowledge of how computers operate, and how to use one. And that's a really a shame, because the world literally is on our doorstep and on our desktop these days.

Valkyrie said...

Very true, I can communicate with my parents and siblings with no issue. My Grandparents however have issues getting the thing to turn on sometimes it seems. Plus most of the stuff I get ends up being forwards anyway.

Ray said...

Don't you love it when the list of the recipients is longer than the message body?

A former co-worker sends me things like that, and sometimes I wonder if
it's even safe to open that stuff,
with all the malware that's flying around these days. It makes me nervous. Why can't more people write their own stuff? Are they too lazy?