Saturday, November 08, 2008

Eight Reasons Why You Can't Pay Attention

Eight Reasons Why You Can't Pay Attention, article.
Amusingly, the article is on a page with dozens of links and ads all screaming for attention while you're trying to read...
(Thank god for ad blocking software, like Pithhelmet for Safari. Some of my favorite web sites, even some where I'm a paying customer (lovefilm.com) are insufferable without ad blocking.)

One thing I don't get is people who have their TV on all the time, whether they are watching or not. I find it incredibly distracting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing I don't get is people who have their TV on all the time, whether they are watching or not. I find it incredibly distracting.

I've never understood why people do that. It seems like most people need constant distraction and/or constant entertainment. I wonder why.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

To escape the horrors of the mind, I guess.

Anonymous said...

"The combined weight of the horrors I've authored would crush your tiny carbon hearts into perfect diamonds of terror."

-Leonid Kasparov Destroyovitch, aka Destroyo

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Aaa, The Tick. Excellent superhero show, and totally hil.

Why is there so few, if any, good superhero/comedy show and films?

kronostar said...

Kind of interesting post considering you've got the BBC posting today about how the Internet is ruining the attention span and listening comprehension of today's potential jurors.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

I've never understood either how young people like my brothers could study with music. Me, when I put music on, I'll want to listen to it.
Now, falling asleep with pleasant music in my earbuds, THAT I can do.

Kronostar,
I saw that title in last month's newspaper: "Internet Use Found to Stimulate Brain."
Looks like not all scientists agree on the topic. Slight attention difficulties in some?...