Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Parents

My father worked hard, putting a roof over our heads. I always said to him, "if you hired professionals, you wouldn't have to do it again and again".

But seriously, I think I could have appreciated my parents more while they were alive. We're all flawed, and very few people have a relationship to a parent which is free from any strain. But no matter what, raising a child is a huge outlay in time and money, and I think they deserve recognition for that. When we are young, it seems like those things happen just magically. In fact, even as adults, if somebody paid all our expenses every month all the time, we'd very soon take it for granted. But like the Chinese say, when drinking water, thank the river. Or words to that effect.

1 comment:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Good one. :-)

My brother found this very relevant article about parenting. "Everything the advice books DON'T tell you":
http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/family-parenting/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8415508&GT1=32020