Friday, October 24, 2008

Renee Leaether

Some may wonder if I endorse the (apparent) messages of bands like Leaether Strip, or Skinny Puppy, or Ministry. The apparent antagonism and disdain for the world and authorities.
Not really. Just like, say, Abba, it's pretty much BS. I don't find my messages in music. I just like the music.
It is childish when Al Jourgenson of Ministry gives the audience the finger. But it's equally fake when Anni-Frid Lyngstad of Abba flirts with the audience. It's just something performers do to get the audiences to relate to them. Performers who become big names but don't like the BS have a hard time because the broad audiences demand it. They want interviews and stories about how the love life is going, etc. They want their pound of flesh.

-----
If you ask what kind of music I like, it's simple: stuff like Renee Olstead and Leaether Strip.




5 comments:

Alex said...

There are several worlds of music between what seems like a lounge bar crooner/soul/jazz singer and some post industrial punk sounding band.

Are you limited to these extremes, or, like myself, would you be better expressing the complement set of music you don't like/hate.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

This was just a humorous way of saying I like many different things.

Alex said...

It is good to have an open mind.

That way the ideas flood in.

And wash right out again.

Ray said...

Alex....

"And wash right out again."

Only if you have an attention span about this (-) long, Alex...

- Ray.

Anonymous said...

I remember Renee from that horrid sitcom "Still Standing". What a voice. The fact that she's also a readhead is a bonus. :)
As for the other band... I think I've mellowed in my years because I cant listen to it for more than a few minutes. Sigh, my days of Ministry and Front 242 are so over.