Monday, October 20, 2008

Nonessentials

One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.
-- Henry Miller

Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials.
-- Lin Yutang

----
Of course the trick is, what is nonessential? Most people would not exclude a girlfriend or kids, but I did.
And some go further, Peace Pilgrim for instance even eliminated a stable abode and a predictable source of food.

Update: just found out there's a Peace Pilgrim YouTube page. And a documentary here.
I also found out there to my joy that she focused on inner peace above peace in the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Peace was one of the greatest Americans ever (along with Thoreau whom she in some ways resembles). She makes the people who are currently in power in the US look like a bunch of shabby nonentities by comparison.

I'm a fan of Dan Millman's books and I think Peace was a superb example of a "Peaceful Warrior."