Friday, August 08, 2008

Not Without My Handbag

Alex pointed to Not Without My Handbag, a seminal piece of animation.

It's an Aardman production, which would normally mean claymation. But it does not look like claymation. And it's from 1993, which makes it unlikely to be CG.

I think it's regular stop-motion animation. The characters may have been made in clay, but I think they have been burned and varnished, they look hard and glossy. And the sets have a wonderful abstract quality. I think that is the way they are lit and filmed, they were probably made from paper, then painted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They feel like wood, but don't act like wood.

Anonymous said...

I'm old enough to remember the Olympus Pen F, a half-frame 35mm SLR that replaced the typical pentaprism with a mirror. Could Olympus reinvent the Pen F SLR format as a Micro 4/3 SLR?

Alex said...

My Aunt is a Zombie, from Hell

Don't forget to watch part 2, with the possessed handbag.

The aunt is played by Geraldine McEwan who you may know from "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", "The Barchester Chronicles" or more recently "Miss Marple"

Oh, just checked, she was also in the film version of "Oranges are not the only fruit" which I assume everyone on this board has read. If not, do so. This is Jeanette Wintersons novel about a girl who learns that boys are not the only option.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Rudy, I have reposted your comment here:

http://eolake.blogspot.com/2008/08/more-on-micro-four-thirds.html

... where I think you meant to post it.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'll try the Oranges film.

Though I am sometimes disappointed by lesbian-stories films. I guess to my shame I get them hoping for tit-elation.

But some can be very good, like Kissing Jessica Stein. Or D.E.B.S.

Alex said...

I've only seen a bit of the film, but read the book. Not sure it's a TnA film, but a good study of sexual awakening/coming of age.

Winterson's books are good reads, though I found "Written on the body" hard to read. The protagonist was of unspecified sex, and that made their voice hard to comprehend. Took me three attempts. Would recommend "Oranges..." and "Sexing the Cherry" as good reads.