Thursday, March 06, 2008

Non-conformism

This just occurred to me:

In the sixties, if you were not a non-conformist, you just didn't fit in.

Aaaaanyway...
Once back in school, in class somebody pointed out the old cliche that "there's a thin line between genius and madness". And somebody else said: "yes, just look at Eolake."

I don't recall how I took that, but I guess I should have taken it like a compliment. I was fortunate enough that my mother was of a bohemian bent. It's a less comfortable life, sure, but to me, trying to walk to the beat of your own drummer is the only satisfying life.

Note that I say "trying to". It is much harder than you expect. Like the joke about the sixties above, one often finds that when one has been thinking one was non-conformist, one has only been conforming to some other group's ideas and ideals.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're neither, just plain old predictable, dull as dishwater Eolake. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The way I see it, if you're trying you're doing it wrong. Who cares if the beat of your drum matches with the beat of another? For some, if they are true to themselves, that'll happen. They shouldn't go out of their way to be non-conformist.

On the other hand, if more people were true to themselves society would no doubt see drastic change. (For the better, in my opinion. We'd likely be less obsessed with meaningless status symbols and other nonsense.)

It seems conformism and non-conformism are equally destructive in the context of, "this is how I should be" as opposed to, "this is how I am."

Anonymous said...

Now that is some profound shit. Well, okay, maybe not...

Cliff Prince said...

I once felt rather pleased to hear an old High School teacher of mine refer to me as someone who REALLY marched to his own, rather sane, drummer, rather than following fads and trends, however "professionally non-conformist" (his term) they might have seemed at the time. Very gratifying.

Often, however, my inability to follow a fad -- whether it's a "professionally non-conformist" one or not -- is obliviousness, not self-confidence. "Oh, wait, now what is a Smashed Apricot, again? Oh, Pumpkin. Smashed Pumpkin, I see. And they do this smashing during their musical act? No? Ah, I see. There is something I'm not getting here ..."

:P

Anonymous said...

Being a nerd is still conforming, just to a subgroup. When Ogre became one of the Lambdas in Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds In Paradise, he became one of them right down to the pocket protector.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

For those who like marching to the beat of a drum, and/or to MAKE said beat, get a PSP and Patapon.
I've seen a short demo on TV, it's really cute!
When I get a PSP, I'll also buy some other creative and aesthetic gems like Loco Roco. (From the same developers, what a coincidence!) I think I've already mention Okami on PS2.

Anybody for rolling the Katamari with me next weekend?
"We felt the beauty of all things, and felt love for all", the King of All Cosmos said.