Sunday, November 18, 2007

Iko Iko

Iko iko.



... The world is weird: This Natasha England version is on YouTube, but can't be found for love nor money on the Net or on CD. And the Cindy Lauper version conversely (which I may like more) is only on YouTube in crappy live versions, but it's easy to find on the Net.
And in one of the weird coincidences that seem to dominate my life these days, apparently a newly recorded version by Natasha England will be released tomorrow!

One of the reasons I got interested in the song was that it was played in Rain Man, which I've just re-watched for the first time (I think) since it came out in 1988. What a great movie that is.

7 comments:

Cliff Prince said...

The song "Iko Iko" is a traditional New Orleans tune which includes lyrics that describe an encounter between two Mardi Gras Indian tribes. Cleaned up national versions are available, but you really ought to prefer the down-home REAL funk of the Nevilles:

http://play.rhapsody.com/thenevillebrothers/uptownrulinthebestofthenevillebrothers/brotherjohnikoiko

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work if you're outside the U.S.

Unknown said...

Natasha's version is released on Itunes, along with 8 re-workings of it, tomorrow November 19th.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

this song is mildly retarded as well as the video mr stobblehouse. they need to keep it buried beneath the rubble of super bad videos and songs.
rain man was a good movie but we could have did without that insideous song. cheers.

Cliff Prince said...

Scottie rejects the sanitized version, not the real one, I feel compelled to point out ...

Sorry my link is bad. Look up the Neville Brothers, is all I can suggest. :)

Hannah said...

Am I the only one who really likes how she dances? :)

I've never heard this before, kind of neat but I'm afraid it's going to be stuck in my head for the next few days.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

She dances sexy.

Though I didn't look at it much, for I think the video is a disaster.