Saturday, October 27, 2007

Paris and Nicole

I got too curious, and I had to check out The Simple Life, a reality show where socialites Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie gets to live on a farm in the mid west, without their credit cards and servants and cell phones. So I rented the first season.

It's fun. Just in the first episode we learn that not only do the girls not know what "bottled water, generic" is, but they don't know what the word "generic" means.

Also, Nicole don't know what a Wall Mart is, and neither of them has seen one. The family is incredulous. In the country in the US, not knowing what a Wall Mart is, is like not knowing what a road or a roof is.

When they go shopping for the family, they get a few extra items and overshoot the fifty dollars they've been given, by fifteen. They don't understand why the store won't just give them the groceries. And they don't understand the term "soup kitchen" when the clerk says that the store isn't one.

They can't bring themselves to touch a dead animal when asked to pluck a chicken, and they totally freak out when there are small bugs in their room. The family's four-year-old boy kills the bugs for them.

They seem to be lovely people at heart, but they are every bit as spoiled rotten as you'd expect. In the beginning they go at a shopping spree before the farm trip. They buy accessories at prices like $1500 and $2000 a piece. And I'm sure none of them has ever done an hour's honest work in her life, and wouldn't have any idea of how much of it it would take for most people to buy a $2000 handbag. Not that there's anything wrong with luxury items as such, it's just the level of disconnect that's interesting.

It's not their fault. How can you understand something you've never been exposed to? How can you understand "I can't afford this jacket", when you've never seen anything in your life you couldn't just put on your credit card?

It's a hoot and a holler.

9 comments:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

H.O.O.T.! Hollering Of Overboard Tittering! :-D

And I'll add a little LOL. "Keep the change, my good man."

Poor little rich girls! That was a great show idea. So simple(!), yet so guaranteed funny.
I've seen movies with a simpler scenario.

Alex said...

I think I saw part of the second season a year or two back, they were on a farm and totally useless. Nicole was pleasing on the eye, and I watch about three half episodes. painfully funny.

And now you guys are getting it too...

Anonymous said...

Finally my persistence as a long time subscriber to this blog pays off and we get to read about a topic that really matters!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm glad you're pleased. I admit it took me a while to find my path.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"And now you guys are getting it too..."

Um... Earth to Alex, hellllo? It's not like it's hard to "get", d'uh! ;-)
What do you think we blondes are, dumb?

Alex said...

I didn't mean "get it" I mean "receive it". Pascal I think I'm so dumb.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Pascal knew that, he was just pulling your leg.

Alex said...

Can never tell with that one.

And now I feel really dumb because I didn't see the other sexual innuendo in it, and I'm meant to be British!

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

"Can never tell with that one."

I thought pulling your leg with a 6-ton tractor made it obvious. Not to mention the winking emoticon.

But maybe you didn't get to watch Zoolander?
It's like Paris and Nicole on the Farm, but on steroids.
Stupidity-enhancing steroids!

Betcha didn't know they even MADE these, huh? Lots of politicians in my country use them, they're legal over here.