Friday, March 23, 2007

Open letter to John Travolta


Dear Mr. Travolta,

I remember one fine afternoon in 1977 in Denmark, I met one of my schoolmates in town, and she was bearing a newly purchased poster, rolled up. I asked what it was, and she said with a big, happy, and yet mischievous smile: "it's Travolta." I asked: "what's a travolta?"

Well, we all learned quickly. Here is my suggestion: how about another movie with some dancing in it. I am not suggesting a musical. Too expensive, and they're usually not that interesting. (OK, I did like Grease. But I'm not about to see Chicago, and Moulin Rouge was weird at best.) But how about a small movie?

It should be possible to secure funding for a small movie (especially now, with cinema quality digital video). Just for instance you, Uma Thurman, a small town, a love story, some humor (please), and a bit of dancing. I'd see it.

A little bit of the right dancing has so much power. Examples: The short dancing contest scene in Pulp Fiction (Ooh, did you see the tribute on Gilmore Girls? Wonderful). Or the brief moments of dancing on stairs and mezzanine in The Breakfast Club. Or the relatively few dances in Footloose. Or even the brief dance in Michael.

You said it yourself in an interview: "People go nuts when I dance."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"People go nuts when I dance."

Well, no wonder! This man's travolting! ;-)

Anonymous said...

This movie still rocks for me. First saw it in 1977 on the big screen! Travolta is a TALENT like no other!