Friday, October 16, 2009

Born To Die In Berlin

I thought this was a Nina Hagen original, but now I see it's actually a Ramones song. Their original version is here.
But I feel Nina's version is far superior. She not only added valuably to the lyrics, she gave the song an actual melody.

Admittedly, you will have to search long to find more bleak lyrics than these...
But fucking hell, what a great song when Nina sings it! (I hope you can open and play this file, I don't recall if it's one of the rights-protected files or not.) Update: there's some indication not everybody can play it. Try this file instead.

Junkies, whores and pimps
Devils around my bed
There is no choice and no difference
And no one seems to notice

Sometimes I feel like screaming
Sometimes I feel like I just can't win
Sometimes I feel like I was born
To die in your arm in Berlin

Intoxicated by the orchids
Abandoned in the garden
Demanding morphine for communion
Because my soul was burning

Sometimes I feel like screaming
Sometimes I feel like I just cant win
Sometimes I feel like I was born
To die in your arm in Berlin

Stranded in the sweet windings
Breathing the pale moon silver
Tasting the last drops of life
From a sweet transvestite's lips

Sometimes I feel like screaming
Sometimes I feel like I just can't win
Sometimes I feel like I was born
To die in your arm in Berlin
-

No comments: