Thursday, March 12, 2009

Keyboard and shortcuts on Mac

I got my new keyboard today. So far it seems very nice. (Though it's really large, takes a little getting used to.)

One thing I hadn't thought about is that I'm used to putting my Mac to sleep using the option-command-eject shortcut. But a PC keyboard does not have an Eject key...

So I remembered a reasonably new OS X feature, which I had never really used so far: you can make a keyboard shortcut from any menu item (System prefs-->keyboard and mouse). So I just pressed the + button, selected "all applications", and typed in "Sleep", and selected the nearest equivalent keyboard shortcut, option-command-pause (the pause (F15) key is upper right like the eject key is on the Mac), and lo and behold, it worked. The shortcut is even written now in the menu!)

Cool. Like I said, I have to use this a lot more, it's really useful.

2 comments:

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

I guess it's time to go to sleep then, huh?
;-)

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time for some unfathomable reason in a moment of madness I bought this keyboard: http://www.typematrix.com/

Now I use standard issue wired Apple keyboards. No more funny business with hardware.