Friday, January 02, 2009

Death of the hero

Somebody made a list of superheroes who actually died. That's impressive until you notice that most of them have been resurrected. Lame... it's almost harder to find a superhero who hasn't died and been resurrected. The trick is to find one who stayed dead. (I find it very hard to believe Captain America will be the one.)

Wouldn't it be fun if just once a prominent superhero died and was never resurrected, despite popular demand. Wouldn't it be fun to hear a commercial publishing company say: "Do you really want us to go against our word? The guy is dead! We have integrity, you know."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they killed the Barry Allen Flash and didn't bring him back. Of course someone else became The Flash so it's almost like he was resurrected.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Sadly they brought him back in 2008.

At least it was Grant Morrison, so maybe it was well written.

Anonymous said...

I like comic resurrections.
One of the few places we can resurrect, so why not.
I think the original Cap'n America is gone forever, but the hero will live on through another.

Anonymous said...

I looked up on Wikipedia to see what the circumstances of his resurrection were. It seems that Morrison isn't the one who brought him back, he just used the recently-resurrected Barry Allen in his Final Crisis series. Looks like they killed off Orion of New Gods fame. I wonder what old Jack would have though of that?

Anonymous said...

"where he becomes the very lightning bolt that turned him into The Flash in the first place."

Is it just me or is that really lame? I usually hate time travel stories. Do these guys not know what the word "paradox"?

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Just you wait. Some day, I'm gonna write stories about an immortal super-hero, and then kill him.
Again and again. Each time for good.
Each time, his life in that karma being ended for good. The same soul, countless lives, noe of which are allowed to "press Reset".
Just so I can brag that I have super-integrity!