Saturday, August 30, 2008

Internet user reviews


I love the Internet, the way it's so easy to get information from many viewpoints on anything, fast.

Take for example now: I am considering a week's vacation in Copenhagen, and I wanted a central location, so I remembered the famous Hotel D'angleterre, which has a fabulous location, right in the middle all the best of Copenhagen. And I mean right in the middle: you step out of the door onto the end of the doubly famous Walking Street.

It is regarded as the best hotel in Copenhagen, and it seems to be the most expensive, so I figured this was correct.

But I decided to just check up a bit, and it was quickly revealed that it has very mixed reviews indeed (13 five-star reviews and 12 one-star reviews!). And on the average much poorer reviews than the Mariott (128 five-star reviews and only 8 one-star reviews), where I stayed last year, and which was cheaper. So there you go.
(Right now the Mariott is only a little cheaper, I don't know how I got those amazing rates back then, they were only about half, I think.)

Update: on the square Kongens Nytorv (The King's New Square), where Hotel D'angleterre is, is this equestrian statue*. It's the king Christian V, apparently. It is not common for Danish art to be this brutal, I guess it's from a time when we were more aggressive. I don't know who or what he's is downtrodding, but it/he looks very odd.


Here's a big picture, which includes some cute Danish students after exam.

*Denmark has many equestrian statues. The town where I grew up is oddly proud of having the smallest one in the country, only about two feet tall if I recall correctly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only hotel I have stayed at in Copenhagen was the Admiral Hotel which is down by the docks. A great hotel which I remember for several reasons not least sampling the reindeer in the restaurant; the tasteful and interesting conversion from a warehouse and the sharp intake of breath which occurred when I ordered some beers at the bar. It could never be described as 'cheap' ....

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Nope, Denmark is not the place to go for a budget holiday!

Thanks, I had not thought about the Admiral, but I've seen it and I liked the building and the location.

Bert said...

My experience of hotels is that every large hotel is almost constantly renovating rooms, on some sort of rotation (avoids closing too many rooms at once, and spreads the expense). This also means that every hotel has, at any given time, new and old rooms. A hotel that is seldom filled to capacity will have rooms that are almost never rented out, and they don't bother renovating those.

Too many people automatically assume that all rooms are the same; don't hesitate to ask for another room. Btw, a reception clerk is an expert at gauging who will be satisfied with what, therefore your attitude and presentation at check-in time may very well determine the kind of accommodations you will get.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Ah, interesting.

unbearable lightness said...

I like the internet, too, and my current post is about the transformation of a visual TV generation into writers because of the World Wide Web. It is indeed a boon to travelers. Even my favorite little hotel in Paris is now online...web site and e-mail both!!!

Please help me, eolake. In what month will I find Jade?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

http://snipurl.com/jade- [eolake_blogspot_com]