Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

This song tipped me off that she's into girls*. It may be stupid, but I find that hot, I'm sorry.
Joan: yes, your music is much more important, pardon my hormones.
But also: how many successful musicians are not hot? It works for ya.



I wonder why the song is called A.C.D.C? Maybe it's a symbol for "swinging both ways". (Hey, does this mean that the guys in AC/DC... nah, surely not.)

Here's an interesting interview. It answers a question I had: yes, she has to battle a ton of sexism. That is just so incredibly stupid. Who are those people? When I see a girl being successful in a man-dominated industry, I don't have a hint of "piss off", I think: fuck yeah, good for you, rock on".

My pal Steve On Wheels sent this snap of him with Joan and Dougie Needles (who I don't know) [Update: it's her guitarist, he is in the video above with Carmen Electra. And her manager/collaborator Kenny Laguna took the pic]. It's two years old, and she's fifty now, what a beauty.


Update: I actually had the impression from the olden days that Joan was from the more gentle side of hard rock, but the video below proves otherwise!



The lyrics are unbelievably explicit. You don't hear lyrics like that from many mainstream stars!
I'd want her bad, except she is clearly a top too, so it might not work. :-)
If this isn't "edge", I don't know what is. She has balls of brass, well done Joan.

* OK, so she refuses to talk about it. Fair enough. (Though how do you manage that nobody meets your bf/gf, anyway??) But with songs like this and a guitar-sticker saying "dykes rule", that's either a statement, or a clever but slightly disingenuous publicity stunt. And she does not seem disingenuous to me.

Steve On Wheels said:
Yes, interesting woman she is! This picture was taken during their stop in St. Louis on The Warped Tour '06. Dougie Needles is her long-time guitarist, whom you can see in the video above, "AC/DC"... featuring the ever so lovely Joan Jett & Carmen Electra. Yummy! Joan was quite nice and we chatted for about 20-30 minutes (along with “partaking of some smoke”) before the oppressive summer heat made her retreat to her air conditioned bus. As a bonus, her Tour Mgr (Kenny Laguna, bass player for Tommy James & The Shondells back in the ‘60’s “MONY MONY”) invited my son and I (who attended with me) to sit on the side of the stage while Joan performed. She put on a sweaty, foot stomping, Rock 'n Roll show!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Joan's my favorite lady musician. :) She rocks.

Lol, it's funny you mention the AC/DC thing. They actually didn't know it meant that until after they'd become known by that name. They were like, "Aw shit..."

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Hehe, maybe they should make a song like that Backstreet Boys parody: "We Swear We're Not Gay"...

(Though I think in the case of AC/DC, the confusion is less likely to develop.)

BlankPhotog said...

I own that album, and have owned several Jett albums over the years. Usually I listen to them two or three times then stop. Unfortunately, while musically they're engaging, lyrically they're shallow with many filler songs. That interview you linked is a case in point. She's about 15 years behind the times politically. Ministry was using tape of George Bush Sr. back in the early 90's! I respect Jett for doing it her way all these years, and I like her music and persona. She bears no responsibility to the public to outline her sexuality for profit, and it speaks well of her that she doesn't.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Doubtlessly, Ministry is way more cutting edge in several ways. But I'd rather have Joan Jett on my sofa!

Hmm, that may have sounded condescending. Could be I'm a bit horny today.

Instead of comparing her to Ministry, how about... Britney Spears and that lot.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, her music's always been kinda simplistic in nature, but hey, just plain, straightforward rock n' roll never gets old. Well, not for me anyway. :P Plus, she's got a voice that can make anything sound good.

Anonymous said...

What's the definition of asexual?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Dictionary: asexual (ā-sĕk'shū-əl)
adj.

*Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless.

*Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding.

*Lacking interest in or desire for sex.

Anonymous said...

You are most definitely not asexual.

Anonymous said...

Yes, interesting woman she is! This picture was taken during their stop in St. Louis on The Warped Tour '06. Dougie Needles is her long-time guitarist, whom you can see in the video above, "AC/DC"... featuring the ever so lovely Joan Jett & Carmen Electra. Yummy! Joan was quite nice and we chatted for about 20-30 minutes (along with “partaking of some smoke”) before the oppressive summer heat made her retreat to her air conditioned bus. As a bonus, her Tour Mgr (Kenny Laguna, bass player for Tommy James & The Shondells back in the ‘60’s “MONY MONY”) invited my son and I (who attended with me) to sit on the side of the stage while Joan performed. She put on a sweaty, foot stomping, Rock 'n Roll show! Pic is copyright, Orbital Productions 2006.

Steve On Wheels…