Sunday, June 08, 2008

Jackie Mason

Jackie Mason on how older people don't want or need computers.

I'm curious: how did the Jewish accent develop? It's not like they come from one particular country.
Come to think of it, "ebonics" has nothing to do with Africa. I wonder if a group sometimes develops an accent or mode of speech just to get a sense of group.

Bert added:
"I'm curious: how did the Jewish accent develop? It's not like they come from one particular country."
No, but all of those who have the accent (that I know of, anyway) speak Yiddish, and probably learned it as their mother tongue.
It has also been demonstrated that languages learned past tender age (six years old is considered a limit) are not processed in the same area of the brain where native languages are handled.
It therefore isn't such a leap to infer that this "second-language processor" is not tied as closely to the hearing and speech centers, hence the accent phenomenon.
But while that would explain why there is such a thing as an accent, I believe that you are right in pointing out that in many cases, adopting, or even emphasizing the accent of a given group is a deliberate choice. That most certainly appears to be the case with Mason...

4 comments:

Bert said...

"I'm curious: how did the Jewish accent develop? It's not like they come from one particular country."

No, but all of those who have the accent (that I know of, anyway) speak Yiddish, and probably learned it as their mother tongue.

It has also been demonstrated that languages learned past tender age (six years old is considered a limit) are not processed in the same area of the brain where native languages are handled.

It therefore isn't such a leap to infer that this "second-language processor" is not tied as closely to the hearing and speech centers, hence the accent phenomenon.

But while that would explain why there is such a thing as an accent, I believe that you are right in pointing out that in many cases, adopting, or even emphasizing the accent of a given group is a deliberate choice. That most certainly appears to be the case with Mason...

Alex said...

I think accents are a chameleon trait amongst us. They follow the background. I know Cheshire has a non-accent. It is one of the counties where there is no discernible accent. We all think we don't have an accent, but this county truly doesn't.

I lived in Manchester for a few years, and as you'd imagine, I picked up the Mancunian way. I mixed with a lot of others from around the country, so no strong accent stuck. I did pick up pronunciations though, using Geordie for Newcastle Brown, and some Midland pronunciations for Midland place names.

The accent goes, being replaced by a hint of Scouse (family influence), unless I am talking to someone from the North, then it's back.

Ever noticed how you talk faster when you're talking to a New Yorker, and slower when you're talking to a Californian. Same talking to a Scot (city) versus talking to a Taff. If you don't modify, you can't be understood.

I don't think it's an affectation, merely a corroboration.

Accents are good, they are a regional label. A non local accent will identify you as an outsider, and guidance will come easily at the cost of polite discourse.

Accents are bad, they are a regional label. Accents carry a heap of prejudice, they identify which side of the tracks you are from and make you the subject of envy, derision and aggression.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Even a country as small as Denmark, six million people, has regional accents, quite a few of them. I once knew a cute Chinese girl, she'd immigrated as a child, so she spoke Danish with both a Chinese accent and a regional accent, it was cute and funny.

Alex said...

"Cute" is a word whose American definition I learnt too late. When I arrived on these shores I thought it was only applied to babies and puppy dogs.

I took a great compliment as a slap on the wrist, and missed a possible opportunity, and took a bruising to my tender ego. When I found the definition two days later I was kicking myself, but my ego was restored.