Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Death Proof


Just watched Tarantino's Death Proof.
It's a good movie. Kinetic. Real. Has one of the most nerve-wracking car chases ever.
And real nice women.
But be warned though: the violence is not a lot, but it's really... icky. Not for the tender of stomach, trust me.
(Note: the trailer has spoilers. I'm glad I didn't watch it first.)

Update:
There are many good extras on disc two, including a segment on the amazing Zoë Bell, who is both actress and stunt woman in this film. Sadly missing is an explanation on how the f**k they made the long stunt where she is on the hood of a car going 90mph, being banged by a second car. And having practically nothing to hold onto. I don't think they used any CGI (like hiding a safety belt), so I can't figure out how the hell they did it without killing her. It looks so goddamned dangerous.
(After a bit of research...) Apparently they did use some kind of harness. But I don't know how they hid it so well, you just don't see anything, and she seems to be sliding all over the place on the hood of that car. Of course it would have been homicidal to not have anything, there's no way anybody could stay on during that ride.
I am not the biggest fan of action sequences (I'm more into comedy), but this one really is ground breaking.
Oh, and Zoë's a good actress too, in no way inferior to anybody else in the cast. And she's got curves. Quite a package.


Oh, by the way, I liked what Quentin did with the movie, all the scratches, parts in B/W, very strange "unintentional" cuts, and so on. Refreshing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought that it was a very entertaining and very funny movie, like all of Tarantino's really. Granted, it's not as funny as From Dusk Till Dawn, but still very funny!