Monday, May 05, 2008

New learning

Isn't it funny how you can keep learning? Sometimes without even taking in any new data, sometimes just by... I don't know, expanding your mind maybe.

For example, this morning I needed a web site I hadn't used for a long while. I knew what I would have called it, approximately, but exactly where I'd stashed it away amongst the hundreds and hundreds of bookmarks I've collected over the years.... ? (Arranged in folders, sure, but still.)

And then I realized that Apple has been putting Search boxes in absolutely everything in later years. Surely they now have a Search box when I'm looking at my bookmarks...

Lo and behold, I opened a bookmarks window in Safari, and there was the expected Search box. I typed in a few characters, and boom, there we had it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would recommend taking a look at the August 2006 issue of Scientific American. It has an interesting (and inspiring) article called "Secrets of the Expert Mind." If it wasn't so large I could email it to you, but you could easily download it if you're interested.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

You can mail it if it's under 5MB. Above that, a service like yousendit.com is preferable.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.

How did you get the whole mag as PDF?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You're welcome.

It comes that way if you get the Digital Subscription. I don't have a subscription, I just downloaded it from isohunt.com.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Who says learning ever stops? Just because school's over? Bah, you can learn until your last day. Saying that one is too old for learning a new thing (eg a language) is only an excuse for being lazy. A lazy pupil gets scolded.
Learning is as good for the mind as exercising is for the body.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Good point.

Though I was referring to "learning" which apparently happens spontaneously in my mind without me taking in any new data at all.

Monsieur Beep! said...

And one more very important aspect of learning just came to my mind: I constantly keep learning how to improve my interactions with my fellow-beings, not at least because I keep trying to apply your principle, Eolake, of solving issues and getting control over arguements to turn them to a positive outcome. The result is always very satisfying when such a controlled fight has been settled, with proper consideration of the arguements of each "fighter".
Before this learning process of applying the principle my mind always used to be devastated, and I had many a sleepless night.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thanks, that's quite interesting.

I don't recall how I stated that principle.

Monsieur Beep! said...

Oh, quite a while ago, in one of your posts or comments.