Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Gifts and creativity

This was written to me by Jim in Seattle, who is an artist in several mediums.

30 years ago my ex-wife and I invited a masterful pianist and his wife to dinner at our house... he interpreted the music composed by Gurdjieff and Thomas de Hartmann in a way that inspired all who heard it, as well as jazz and other genres. After dinner he admired an antique 1800s classical guitar made by Salvador Ibanez that was one of my priceless treasures hanging on the wall, and expressed envy of the way I could play the guitar. I placed it in his caress...he knew a few simple chords and strummed it for awhile. I picked up my guitar and played along with him, and could tell that he was discovering a new creative branch in his musical path. When we stopped playing, I told him to take it home, at which point he said he'd bring it back in a few days. I said, "No, it's yours." He accepted without hesitation because he knew both the value of the gift and the sentiment behind it...he ended up being an excellent classical guitarist in addition to his piano skills.


Creative relationships exist on a different plane, the best part of my life experience. My dad taught music to hundreds, thousands of kids during his lifetime, a fulfilling experience for him. He also directed the Seattle Philharmonic Orchestra and Choral Society, building it into creatively satisfying organization for those who participated and attended the concerts.

-- Jim

Giving something without anticipating anything in return, not even status, is a difficult thing. It's something I'm trying to learn. This is a slow process, but each time it happens, it has a spiritually healing effect for both the giver and the receiver.

... I think it should be noted that there are also levels below being selfish. Some people are unable to do anything at all just for themselves, they would feel too guilty. This of course is just the other side of the same coin.

Eolake

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, it might have had more impact for me if the guitar hadn't been one of many "priceless treasures" he had. A good old country boy like Johnny B. Goode giving away his only guitar and only possession - that would be something. It would also be criminal - I hear he could play the guitar just like ringing a bell.

Pascal [P-04referent] said...

Well, the act of giving and the joy of the receiver can be the giver's own reward.

I'll never forget a Christmas I had, when I was living alone in France. Friends invited me over for dinner, and I got to watch two little children (whom I barey knew) open their presents. The shrieks of raw joy of that little girl, unwrapping each of them, was perhaps the nicest Christmas present *I* had ever received in my life. None of them were from me (didn't even know there'd be children), I had just helped set them under the tree. But the sight and sound of that pure, absolute happiness... A treasure which can never be lost.

I'll never pass an opportunity to give some happiness like that. It's like what they say about a smile: it costs very little (if anything), and makes everybody richer.

It's true, to the knowing person: a gift is in the gesture.