Saturday, April 07, 2007

"Answers"? and Region Free DVD player

Durn it all to heck. Google Answers has been cancelled. It was a great service, you offered five or ten bucks for an answer to a tricky question on the web, and some genius with time on his hands found an answer for you.

I wanted to find out if there is any way to make a MacBook Pro play DVDs region-free. I've been surfing for what feels like hours, and I have found no solutions. (VLC player doesn't do the trick on mine.)

Man, how stupid humans are in international relations. What possible good can come from using the law and millions of dollars to prevent people on other continents from buying and playing your DVDs? Geez Louiz. The only reason I can see to have set up the region system is to protect the European DVD publishers from import of American discs, and vice versa. But how many people will buy a disc from a different continent if they can buy one next door?

"It is widely held, even by the EU, that region coding was solely an attempt to enforce price differentials." Wikipedia.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. This is truly a nuisance.

I was able to modify the Pioneer inside my PowerBook to be region free. Sadly I've lost the URL or even the name of the tool I used (this was years ago). But it can be done. It is slightly risky -- if something goes wrong you could ruin the player.

I hacked my Sony DVP-NS76H player using a Kameleon universal remote control. This was easy, but costly, I had to get the remote just for this.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I did it successfully on powerPC based Macs, using a hack named RegionFree. But this does not work on Intel Macs.

Alex said...

I feel your pain. I got some DVD's of an old Brit TV show (The Sweeney) on Region 0 (any region) discs. When they arrived the still didn't play - they were region 0 PAL, not region 0 NTSC!

Luckily my newer player could be region hacked and was all format!

Still looking for a reliable hack for my laptop - the one I tried crashed my system, and I've been shy about trying again.

Anonymous said...

I believe the correct verb should be "Burn it all to heck."
Especially since we're talking about DVDs here. ;-)