Monday, November 06, 2006

Spanglish



"Honey, lately your low self-esteem is just good common sense."

"So tell me again why I can't call him again?"
"Besides his cell phone being turned off?"
"Yeah."
"Forty messages start to look needy."

That's from the movie Spanglish, which to my delight is rather more than Just Another Silly Sandler comedy. It's delightful, actually. Sandler is subtle as the cook. Tea Leoni is great as the poster girl for High Strung Wife in SUV. And the kids are awesome. I keep telling you, it is indicative of rising human awareness how child and teen actors keep reaching new levels of power.

That reminds me, I meant to mention MirrorMask, Neal Gaiman's and Dave Mckean's fantasy film. It is a family film, and the story did not glue me to the LCD screen, but the visuals are fantastic, and so is the acting, particularly the lead, Stephanie Leonidas as Helena. Both subtle and powerful.

BTW, this pisses me off about the film industry (and MirrorMask is not even a Hollywood picture): when the lead is a child or teen actor, he/she does not get first billing as she would if she was an adult! For shame!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

where can i purchase a copy of mirrormask? it sounds very intriging. also, Adam Sandler was just an ordinal comic in my book until I viewed CLICK. Wow, that movie brought me to tears........
the guy is a genius. hats off to him.........and hand me another kleenex i watched the ending of CLICK again. Bravo!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I believe MirrorMask is sold anywhere you get quality DVDs, as they say. Like Amazon for example.

TC [Girl] said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Nothing wrong.
I write when I can think of something to say.