Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"Dangerous Liaisons", movie review


Dangerous Liaisons

I am not often very interested in stories taking place in pre-industrial times. I like technology too much, and I find that human interactions without even a telephone are just too limited. But there are exceptions, for instance Dangerous Liaisons, which is just a wonderful story.

It is based on a novel of the same title written and taking place in France before the revolution, in the highly decadent upper class society. The same story was filmed at the same time in another very good movie, Valmont.

Apart from beautiful cinematography and great acting, the story is gripping and has wonderful characters, particularly the two main characters (played by Glenn Close and John Malkovich) who are perhaps the best nasty characters in any story ever. They are just really slimy. And yet they they can feel love and regret, which of course are weaknesses in really nasty people, and this leads to their downfall.

Having Michelle Pfeiffer and Uma Thurman as some of their innocent victims does not hurt either. (Warning, if you don't like the prospect of Uma Thurman topless, don't watch this one.)

It was many years since I saw it in the cinema, I was curious if it held up. It did. Warmly recommended.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Uma Thurman topless"? Oh no, get me out of here, HELP!!! ;-)

I agree, a very well done film. Coming from a good novel mustn't have hurt it either.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

>"Uma Thurman topless"? Oh no, get me out of here, HELP!!! ;-)

I know. I had to squint. 22 times.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eolake, I saw one of your pictures of DOMAI -Slastyonoff?, pretending to be an oil painting by Giuseppe Muscio in artelibre.com (sorry for my english)

Anonymous said...

>You might like Claude Berri's Manon des Sources, the second part of the brilliant Jean de Florette duology

Yes, another example of a great movie from a great novel.