Saturday, April 29, 2006

Road Biking


I think the first time in this lifetime I really went for a premium item was in the early eighties, a hand-built London Claud Butler bicycle. I was amazed and delighted at the difference from the classic bike I'd had: it felt like all distances had been halved.

In the past couple decades I have not had a really good bike, but I am slimming down now and I want to get in good shape again, and I missed the thrill of riding a really high-quality light-weight road bike. It is so much fun that it will be an incentive.

The great news is that the technology has raced forward (no pun) since then, and both the gear and the frames are tons better. I held a carbon-frame bike in the shop today, and it felt like not much more than half the weight of the bike I had back then, astonishingly.

So I splurged, and I have ordered the top of the line Claud Butler Torino road bike, carbon frame and top-notch gear. I am really looking forward so seeing a little of the English country roads, with my camera and a book on the back. (Surely finding a few good ins out there to stop over at for lunch.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just KNEW you had to be a keen cyclist. Something about your positive attitude to life, preference for the Mac, adoration of women... you're so much like me!

I'm addicted to the silky whispering whiz of the drive chain on a well maintained bicycle. There's a parallel here. As a sensualist, I find the beautiful design of a lightweight bicycle frame and its components nearly as gorgeous as the frame and components of a woman!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.
Do you know any good web sites for it?