Sunday, January 15, 2006

Meryl Streep

Warmly recommended: Postcards From the Edge.
One of the funniest films I know, while being much more than a comedy. It is written by Carrie Fisher (based on her book), and it has the most amazing dialogue.
Also in it, Meryl demonstrates that she is a fantastic singer. Did you know?
I have found the ending song from the DVD, it is a real favorite of mine, I am sure you can't get it on CD anywhere. I put it up here as an MP3 file, so you would get it, love it, and buy the movie.
One comment: these are items which defy description and classification. The song is country... which I really dislike generally. But not this one. And the film, if you read about it, you think you know what it is about. But trust me, it is really not like any other movies. It is one of those rare things where everything just comes together and it burst out of any envelope which may try to contain it.
One of my best friends is a fierce individualist. When this movie was in the theatres, he was thinking of going to see it, and he asked me of my opinion. I said it was the best film I'd ever seen. Then he said "then I won't go see it". That was just too much hype for his taste! :) You just can't win.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Indeed, singing was the girl's first love and she dreamt of becoming an opera star. From age 12, she trained with the renowned vocal coach Estelle Liebling." tiscali.co.uk bigraphy.

After three years of study Streep moved on to other things (cheerleader!) and is modest when discusiing her abilities. She sings 'Amazing Grace' at the end of 'Silkwood' in a breathy, trembling voice (appropriate to the context) and also uses her vocal talents in 'Ironweed'.

Nice to hear her again. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the MP3 of Meryl singing. I also love “Postcards.” Ironic that Carrie Fisher, who was never more than a so-so actress herself, should be played by Meryl Streep, who is arguably the best Actress in film in the last 30 years.

Anonymous said...

"The song is country... which I really dislike generally. But not this one."

I have recently realized my favorite music happens to be any songs sung by women, for they have such beautiful voices. Is this true of you too?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I don't seem to have a preference. Two of my favorites are Kate Bush and David Bowie.

Anthony Stoddart said...

I worship Meryl.

I agree, it's a really good movie. I love the opening to the film particularly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for Meryl's song. I saw this movie about ten years ago. Then I tried to find this song but couldn't. And I suddenly brought back my memory that I loved 'Postcards' and the ending song. Your posting made my memory perfect! This song is great and I can't help loving this film! Thanks!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

My pleasure for sure.

Henchy said...

Thank you SO much for posting an mp3 of Checking Out! It's awesome. That's the kind of thing I always wish I could have but would never dream that someone would do that.

I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth, but if you ever get a chance to convert Meryl's astonishing performance of Amazing Grace from Silkwood into an mp3, that would make my year!

In any case, thanks again! Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, man. I've been searching for the full version of this song and I finally found it. Personally, I think Meryl Streep is one of the greatest actress of all times and also she sings. That's priceless.

Anonymous said...

Meryl Streep is easily in my top 5 favorite actors ever.

I appreciate I'm Checking Out and I wish I could figure out how to get Amazing Grace from Silkwood and post it here, but if you're able to do and if you get a chance, it would be HIGHLY appreciated. :)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I already did.
Use the Search field at the top.

Anonymous said...

Whoops. It was staring me right in the face.

My good man, you rule SO much. Thanks a billion! :) :) :) :)

BaronessBlack said...

Bless you! Bless you! Bless you for putting this song in MP3! I've been looking for it EVERYWHERE!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

My pleasure.

Wayne said...

Thanks so much for the MP3 of I'M CHECKIN' OUT....LOVE IT!

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'm glad to hear it.