Thursday, December 15, 2016

Music collectors

I'm just watching the Gilmore Girls, and the wonderful Lane charcter (wait... "Jane Lane"... I *knew* they were fans of Daria) is ordering new CDs from a huge catalogue.

 I'm wondering, big music fans, who buy new music all the time, how can they possibly *consume* all that music? There's just not time enough. I don't buy a lot, and I still have music I've yet to listen to.

 I suspect that they have the intention of listening to it all, but even if they can't, they want to *have* it, and it just piles up. They probably believe they will have the time to listen to it one day, all the while they keep buying new.
 Ah well, as addictions go, it could be a lot worse. :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are people with books in their libraries that they have not read also addicts?

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yeah, maybe some are, I suppose the principle can be applied to a great number of things. Although of course "addict" is a loaded word, and there are many factors at work here.

Ken said...

There would be people who buy a CD a day, making over 300 per year. This isn't difficult to listen to, it just takes an hour each evening. I'm more in the couple per month, and the unlisted ones are all bonus disks.

Books are a lot more difficult, given that it takes several hours to read each book. I expect that most people with large libraries haven't read more than a proportion.

Joe Dick said...

Large libraries always make me go a big rubbery one.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I hear you, Joe. I would love a week or two to just get lost in, say, Harvard's library.

(After that my brain would be burned out for months, I'm sure.)

Joe Dick said...

I'd like to be able to read as fast as Johnny 5.

James said...

Great blogg you have