Tuesday, February 16, 2016

New Amazon wrinkle

Amazon has for a couple of years now had their own delivery network here in the UK. And it's buuuuuusy! I got a parcel once later than 10pm!
But they have problems with people taking/receiving parcels which they did not buy.
For a little while they asked the name of the recipient first. This should work. But maybe the typically young and inexperienced drivers forgot to ask before they handed over the parcel, where the receiver can read the name anyway.

Today I saw they have a new gadget. Like a fat smartphone. With touch screen which you sign on.

I asked if it was new, and he said it was. And over his shoulder on his way out, he also said: "It also takes your finger print."

Woa. I don't know how they will handle it in case of misdelivered packages. Will they really go out there again and ask for a person's fingerprints??
And can it really do something with a print of just the tip of a finger?

I do know there's a big chance of some people getting very upset indeed about this development.

Update:
David E says:
"I have signed for Amazon deliveries using these gadgets. I don't see how they could reliably take a fingerprint. I think it's a myth."

That does seem probable.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it works because it works, otherwise Amazon would take it seriously if there are misdelivered packages.

Personally I've never received any packages at night. Perhaps you can adjust the delivery setting on Amazon website when you make an order. I believe there is such option that allows you to set preferable time.

Anonymous said...

"I do know there's a big chance of some people getting very upset indeed about this development."

Yup, all the bad guys.

Rink

Ol'Ben said...

Rink,

And don't forget all the folks who once testified against a bad guy and are now in Witness Protection. Or do you believe there's no one at Amazon who could be bribed?

David Evans said...

I have signed for Amazon deliveries using these gadgets. I don't see how they could reliably take a fingerprint. I think it's a myth.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Yes, you are probably right.