Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Last Sucker

Industrial/metal trailblazer band Ministry, who is basically genial Al Jourgensen and whoever he likes to work with this week, has released what is apparently to be his final album, The Last Sucker. (More info.)

I discovered it late, because the Ministry releases of the past ten years or so has left me a little bit lukewarm. But on first listen I really like The Last Sucker. It may be the best release since the excellent Psalm 69 in the mid-nineties.

Al seems to get most of his creative juices from anger, and who he's most angry at right now is George Bush. The cover of the CD contains a holographic picture of Dubya, which morphs into a lizard. This would be a reference to the theory which is popular in the some conspiracy circles, that humanity is held in slavery by a race of extraterrestrial lizard men, who can morph their shape into human and back again. Amongst them is a number of the leaders of the world, including George Bush, Dick Cheney, and the English queen. One of the most famous proponents of this theory is Englishman David Icke.
(That last bit I have copied to Wikipedia, not from it. :)

You can hear samples of The Last Sucker on Amazon or iTunes, but here is a taste of the lyrics. Barbie Girl it ain't.

Ministry End of Days Part Two Lyrics

As the future unfolds in the end of days
Judgment of our times in biblical ways
Our man made gods, genocide is faith
Idea warfare has been engaged
Cannot trust your fellow man at all these days
Sycophants out looking to get paid
Images burned into my face
Pangs of Distress salt my flesh to flay

I constantly fear everything I see
Blood is the fist of authority
Pestilence is my rabid dog unchained

Another road sign marks the end of days
I disregard those who govern me
I hate all of this treachery
I numb my mind and try to walk away
Toward the trail of tears and to the end of days

Face down on pavement and drunk at the end of my days
I hang from a noose that was made to slowly decay
The pangs of distress salt my flesh to slowly flay
Face down on pavement and drunk at the end of my days
The end of days

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think Jourgensen is Canadian. Nice blog btw.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Thank you very much.

Dang, I was pretty sure. I think I read it in an article long ago. But it seems he is not, seems he is American, born in Cuba.