Sunday, July 01, 2007

New spam/virus

Update: more info.

It seems there is a new type of spam or virus about. This week I have gotten many emails with text like:
"Good day. Your family member has sent you a postcard from VintagePostcards.Com."
Or:
"Good day. Your neighbour has sent you a postcard from greet2k.Com."

I could tell it was junk, but I got curious and clicked on a link in one. It went to a white text page that say they were "testing a new browser feature" and to click on a link. This link went to a .exe file. I use Mac, so that would not have run on my computer, but it seems highly likely that it is a virus of some kind which would infect a Windows computer. Beware.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That one is pretty obvious.

What concerns me on my Intel Mac is to open an email, have the email run a JavaScript sequence that does an auto-fill on a form with fields that my Mac keychain remembers, then send it off before I even see it, much less be able to kill it.

There is something to be said for very dumb webmail servers.

Anonymous said...

This particular virus is everywhere now. As these spoofs morph, it's only a matter of time before they find something that works.
:o(