Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I have not been to Oxford Town

"I have not been to Oxford Town" is one of my favorite Bowie songs from the nineties, and they made this excellent cover of it in the film Starship Troupers. It was used in a ballroom scene if I recall correctly from this otherwise unremarkable film.

The song is from the album "Outside", which is often considered one of his less accessible ones, which it is, but it also contains a couple of real gems.
I found this fun live version of it. The sound is pretty decent considering it was filmed on a handheld amateur video cam. I would have thunk that the tiny microphone on such a camera would be totally overwhelmed by the sound pressure you get at a rock concert, n'est pas?
It is a pity that Bowie (like Beatles) has not spent more time on just rocking good rock music, for he does it so well.

2 comments:

Paul Perton said...

The Nathan Adler Diaries is/was the pinnacle of Bowie's work to date - except possibly Black Tie, White Noise.

Two great albums from a career of surprising mediocrity.

Sigh.

Paul Perton
Cape Town

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I agree those two were very good. But you can't possible be knocking stuff like Scary Monsters, not to mention lots of select songs from the seventies.