Friday, September 29, 2006

Sad rock


I used to get irritated, many years ago, when people said: "I like Bowie's early stuff, but I think he lost it," or some such. I felt they were refusing to listen with fresh ears.

Now I have to admit I am saying the same thing about David Bowie and Iggy Pop. Anything they've made since the Millennium or there abouts, I bought, and it's just sad. Iggy's songs are flat and uninteresting, Bowie is sounding whiny and wailing. Am I alone here?
Update: Glad to stand corrected, I checked out iggypop.com, and they have a video of the excellent track Little Know It All from his album Skull Ring. This does rock, I am looking at buying that CD (or download from iTunes).

Kate Bush, umm, I am still undecided on her new one.
Al Jourgenson (Ministry), well, his last two are maybe not his most original, but they sure do have the hard core energy only he can deliver.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Iggy Pop...
Even today, I wouldn't want to bump into a guy looking like THAT in a dark alley. I'm sure he's a very nice guy or something, but it doesn't show!
Just imagine, you meet the guy at night, and he says to you in a twisted grin : "Hi. I am Iggy Pop.
- (Ahem) Yeah, well I'm outta here. Bye!"

Funny to think, that in reality, "baby-face" Tom Cruise is probably a far more dangerous person to live with!