Thursday, May 18, 2006

BSing your way in the world

Featured (partial) comment by Wonko:
"I remember an occasion when a famous pop musician (it may have been David Bowie, I'm not sure, happy to be corrected) set up a completely false retrospective of a non-existent, made-up artist using their own works for the show. The opening viewing was filled with people saying stuff like "Well of course I first came across his work in New York in the sixties. I thought then that he was tremendously talented..." and so on. It really was a case of the 'Emperor's New Clothes'. After the assembled art snobs had bulls**tted at each other for a couple of hours the musician stood up and told them - and the assembled press - what was really happening and that they had all been found out! Priceless!"

Yes indeed.
I can't recall ever having the desire to pretend knowing something, in a social situation, and I find it quite incredible that anybody would. What a pitiful life it must be. What spectacular lack of.... SELF.

No comments: