Monday, February 13, 2006

Raging bullheads

Like I said, recently I have been trying to expand my horizon with classic films from the hippie period, since so many people have such huge respect for them. And I do admit they deserve respect, because they went up against a very very powerful tradition of certain kinds of films under the old studio system. And some of them I liked.
But still...
Midnight Cowboy I at least made it through, even though it was puzzling to me why anybody would want to make a film about nobodies living in squalor, being nowhere and going nowhere. And as usual one of the heroes died in the end.
Mean Streets and Raging Bull I did not make it through by a long shot. Why? Because all the characters were small-minded people, bitching and quarreling all the time about nothing in particular. I really don't see why that would interest me.
Am I the only one who feels this way?

6 comments:

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Narnia had its problems. (Santa Claus? He looked nothing like Santa, so how did they know that?)
But hell, Tilda Swinton (the ice queen) is sexy!
Especially in her war outfit. I want her so bad.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Wonko,
Who is MGLW?
I guess most people who had problems with Narnia has problems with the story as such, not just the film. It is clearly a childrens' story, sugary and not too believable.
I never really wanted to see it, I am sick of High Fantasy. I went because my family made an outing out of it at xmas. And at least it was very good looking indeed.

Easy Rider is like the rest: a "anti-hollywood" film. Unlikeable heroes, who die in the end for no good reason. (They just get shot by a redneck from a car.) Chock-full of drugs and anti-establishment sentiments. (The last one I can sympathize with.)

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

Tilda Swinton has a part as a dark angel in the supernatural action movie Constantine. She is also very sexy there. The film is not as deep or good as the comic book it is based on, but very watchable, and has great effects.

shara said...

She was amazing in Orlando. Even if I don't have the hots for her. Such an expressive face. Reminds me of Gong Li, have you ever seen Raise the Red Lantern? One of my favorites.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I'll rent Orlando. I only saw it in the cinema 20 years ago. I remember the amazing images, like the big blossoming tree in the meadow.

Eolake Stobblehouse said...

I had not heard of "Raise the Red Lantern", but it seems to have rave reviews, so I have ordered it. (I have to import it from USA to UK to get it on DVD.)

"The Scent of Green Papaya" is a wonderful film.