Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Little Lost Kid

I am watching yet another of those movies where somebody who was adopted as a baby is desperate to find his birth parents, to feel "whole".
Am I am the only one who is always thinking "who cares?!"
I had no more in common with my parents than with so many people, despite growing up with them. So what makes anybody think that finding your "real" parents who you haven't seen your whole life will be any different than meeting two total strangers? I don't get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is one possible significant reason why someone would want to find a 'lost' parent. They might then be able to find out if they were likely to have a genetic disorder or genetically linked disease.

Hannah said...

I think it's a question of knowing who they are, a driving curiosity. But since I've never been there, I guess I wouldn't know for sure.

Zeppellina said...

I have a friend who is adopted.
She had two wonderful adopted parents who loved her dearly, and has never felt inclined to look for her biological parents.
In saying that, like anon said, she has a couple of medical complaints, but has no idea whether these are genetic or not.
But, in saying that, many people who were not adopted, for various reasons may also have little idea of their families medical history either.